Tuesday, March 12, 2013

From scratch: Fluffy pancakes & tasty syrup


For a while now, I have been searching for the perfect pancake recipe. It has been a hard battle, because seriously, every single recipe is different by just a smidge. Actually it was annoying, not really a battle. All I wanted in a pancake, was fluffy and buttery. Why was the perfect recipe so hard to find?
But guess what? I FOUND IT!!! Are you as excited as I am? You should be, especially if you really like pancakes.  I am not much of a pancake fan (but my kids are, I prefer french toast) and I LOVE these. They cook perfectly, they are so fluffy without being raw in the middle and they have the yummiest buttery taste. 
I found the recipe on allrecipes.com HERE.

Fluffy Pancakes
makes about 9-10

Ingredients:
3/4 cup of milk
2 Tbs white vinegar
1 cup all purpose flour
2 Tbs white sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
2 Tbs butter, melted
cooking spray

Directions:
1. Combine milk with vinegar in a medium bowl and set aside for 5 minutes to "sour".
2. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium mixing bowl.
3. Whisk egg and butter into "soured" milk. 
4. Pour the flour mixture into the wet ingredients and whisk until lumps are gone.
(Batter will be super thick!)
5. heat a large skillet or griddle over medium heat and coat with cooking spray.
6. Pour 1/4 cupfuls of batter onto skillet (the batter is so thick you have to spread out the batter a bit to get it to pancake size) and cook until bubbles appear then flip and brown the other side. 

~~~

Because syrup goes with pancakes I want to share my favorite syrup recipe. I have to say that I have NEVER bought a bottle of syrup in my life (well at least for my home). I grew up with warm home made syrup and I really hated it when I would stay the night at a friends and we would have pancakes and they would put a bottle of cold store bought syrup on the table to use. yuck! I have always just done the standard boil water, sugar and maple until I found this recipe. I have no clue where I got it, but I love it.

Maple Syrup

Ingredients:
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup water
1/4 tsp of maple
1/2 tsp vanilla

Directions:
Boil water on the stove then add sugars and boil until dissolved. 
(Don't walk away or stop stirring, it will boil over very quickly and make a HUGE mess.) 
Take off burner and stir in maple and vanilla.




2 comments:

jessica said...

We use that same syrup recipe! In fact I was just thinking of doing pancakes tomorrow night for dinner, we will have to try your recipe!

Tia Hopper said...

Have you ever had the Costco pure maple syrup? We stock up on it when they have a coupon for it. It is pure maple syrup, no sugar, no corn syrup, nothing... we love it! Thanks for the pancake recipe!