Saturday, March 9, 2013

From scratch: Chicken Taquitos



These are seriously AMAZING!! And they are worth every effort that it takes to make them. This makes A LOT! About 40. I usually will cook all of them and freeze what we don’t eat. The frozen ones you can pull out and stick in the microwave or back in the oven for a bit. But they still don't last long, because they are too yummy to stop eating. I thought I had originally got this recipe from a PIN on Pinterest, but when my sister-in-law asked for the recipe, I couldn't find my exact recipe in any of the links. 

Creamy baked chicken Taquitos

Ingredients:
12 oz cream cheese (softened in the microwave)
1 small can green chiles
1T lime juice
½ t cumin
1 t chili powder
¼ t garlic powder
3 T chopped cilantro ( I like it with this, Hubs doesn’t, so I don't usually use it)
2 T sliced green onions (optional, I have never added any)
4 C shredded cooked chicken**
1 C cheddar cheese
Small corn tortillas
Olive oil cooking spray

Directions:

1.       Heat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly coat with cooking spray
2.       Heat cream cheese in the microwave for about 20-30 seconds so its soft and easy to stir. Add green 
chiles, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder. Stir to combine and then add cilantro and/or green onions (if you are using them). Then add chicken and cheese and combine well. You can prepare all of this ahead of time and stick it in the fridge until you are ready to make them.
3.       Work with a few tortillas at a time and heat them in the microwave in between a damp cloth or 
paper towel. They need to be pretty soft or they will crack when rolling.
4.       Place 2-3 T of chicken mixture on the lower third of a tortilla then roll it up as tight as you can.
5.       Place seam side down on the baking sheet. Make sure that none are touching each other. Spray the tops lightly with cooking spray and sprinkle a bit of salt on top.
6.       Bake in oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until crisp and the ends start to get 
golden brown.

**I have cooked my chicken in the oven or crock pot. (I am not a fan of boiled chicken) For the oven, all I do is put it in a glass baking dish (sometimes I line it with tinfoil) and cook on 350 until it is done, about 30 to 40 minutes depending on how thick the chicken is and how much is in the pan. Crockpot, I just put it in with a bit of water and cook on high for about 3 to 4 hours.



2 comments:

Tia Hopper said...

Thank you! I always need new recipes!

Tia Hopper said...

Do you dip them in anything or eat them plain?