Sunday, January 1, 2012

sick days...

The beginning of December both kids got sick. Mac ended up with croup again and Oak had a really bad cough. At one point they each had lost their cute little voices, so sad. There sicknesses overlapped and it was a total of about two weeks of taking care of my sick babies. During this time, Hubs was having to work ALOT. He was gone at least 12 hours of the day. I was tired and crabby. Just after my kids had gotten better, I woke up Sunday morning early with a stuffy now, headache and soar throat. Mac had kept me up most of the night and I broke down in tears at 5am panicking that I was going to be sick and I have kids who are depending on me to take care of them and a husband who couldn't take any time off of work because of obligations. (Thankfully it only lasted about a day and a half).  Not only that, but for what ever reason Mac was acting awful that day, from the moment he got up in the morning until he went to bed that night. He was so out of sorts (I think it was that post sickness syndrome) and really REALLY naughty. It was one of the worst "mommy" days I have ever had. I don't want to relive that day ever again!

Anyway, one day at the beginning of Mac getting sick and Oak wasn't quite there yet, we made a fort in the morning in the middle of the family room and we watched movies ALL day in it. We never got out of our PJs and it was alot of fun. Oak LOVED it the most, although she was still pretty high maintenance. Mac also loved it, but he has always loved destroying forts more than playing in them. So it took him alot of will power and alot of threats from me to keep him from destroying the fort that day.
Also, we knew we would be having a scheduled power outage for some repairs so we just wanted to be hunkered down. The power outage was from 3 to 6pm I think. So it was going to be dark some of the time. We were really grateful that Hubs left the iPad so we could use that to watch movies when the power was out. We got out our lantern and both kids just thought that was so cool. It is a great memory and one I hope Mac remembers.

The power came on around 6pm and Hubs got home around 7pm and in walks our Home Teachers. I had totally forgotten they were coming. So we had our fort mess all over the family room, because by this time Mac had finally destroyed our fort (with permission from me). And we were all in our jammas still. I ran to my room to at least put on some jeans so I could look decent.




2 comments:

Tia Hopper said...

What a fantatsic idea! I'm totally going to use this next time we're all sick! And that would've totally happened with me, the ht's coming and me still in my jammies! That happens all the time! :(

Kelli said...

What a great idea....and if it makes you feel any better our home teachers seem to always come when the house is a mess and I haven't gotten dressed. The last time I got "caught" not only were we not dressed but I hadn't showered and I had let the kids totally destroy the house. The looks on their faces when I opened the door made it worth it though and then I cringed as they had to tip toe around the toys, clothes, sippy cups, and dirty clothes in the living room. I guess it was pretty clear that it wasn't the best day.