Thursday, January 2, 2014

The move and our first week...

With house showings, Christmas and Mac's birthday getting ready to move was a bit more overwhelming than I had anticipated. Because it was so overwhelming I tried to just shrug it off as no big deal. Then we started packing and I realized we had way more stuff to pack than I had originally thought. The tricky part was the fact that we were moving to a smaller place, an apartment, and so we couldn't take everything with us. Then was the part of not knowing how much we would be able to fit in the horse trailer we were borrowing from my brother-in-law and sister-in-law. 



My mom was a total rockstar and is pretty much the Queen of Get-er-done! She packed up my entire kitchen and cleaned it from top to bottom. 


Thankfully the weather and roads were amazing driving over the mountain which was another huge concern of ours. And we got here to K Falls with no problem. My parents, who helped us move, helped us unload and my mom helped unpack quiet a bit. The place is much smaller so trying to find places for everything has been a bit difficult. But over all we really like the apartment. We are upstairs and the kids are already tired of me telling them to stop running and rough housing and yelling because we don't want to disturb the neighbors.


Oak trying calamari (octopus) and loving it! YUCK!


Oak had a big girl bed waiting here for her. She has still been sleeping in her converted crib.


The days have been sunny and the afternoons have been in the mid 40s. Totally winter weather I can handle.


We found a park close to our house and we have gone to it a couple of times already.


Everyone at Hubs' firm has been dying to meet us so we went and saw daddy at work. When we walked in the receptionist was beside herself with excitment to meet us and even had made little treats for the kids. I think her and I will become good friends since we have kids the same age. 


I took Oak out on a date to see Frozen on New Years Eve, where it felt like they had the AC on in the theater and really thought we were going to freeze. But we loved the movie.
We didn't do anything for New Years Eve and were in bed by 9pm and then we were woken up at midnight with the noise of fireworks. We were able to watch quite the firework show out our bedroom window. Then I had trouble going back to sleep for a few more hours.


Oak woke up on New Years Day all out of sorts and crying. Then a few meltdowns later we were able to get out the door on and adventure. When we left the house we had no clue where we were going to but decided to go south of K Falls since we hadn't been that direction yet. About 30 miles out of town we came across the sign for Lava Beds National Monument and decided that sounded really fun. Especially since next week we plan on doing a unit study for homeschool.


After driving on what felt like the longest road in the middle of nowhere we finally made it to the ranger station. And it did not disappoint! They pointed us to an awesome cave that the kids could go into and Mac was in heaven, Oak kept on saying she was scared and didn't like it but never showed it. It was pretty cool. And we plan on going back during the summer to explore a few more of the caves there. 

The sunsets here have been pretty cool. This was taken through my bedroom window.

And I think Oak's New Years Day meltdowns were due to her getting sick because at the end of the day after putting her in bed she ended up with a 103.3 temp and had she pretty much kept us up all night. Hopefully that is all she gets! I have seen the horror stories all over blogs and facebook of the nasty stomach virus.

We also went to our new Ward this last Sunday. And it was great! Everyone was so friendly and they were so excited to get a family who would be long term. I seriously could hardly walk through the hallways without someone stopping and introducing themselves.

We so far have enjoyed it here. I think what we love the most is how close we are to Hubs' work. He can be home in ten minutes instead of 30 to 40 minutes. He will be able to come home for lunch sometimes if he wants to. I love that idea!



No comments: