Saturday, January 11, 2014

Homeschool week 1

So I would say that our first week of homeschool went pretty darn well. I wasn't as organized as I would like to be, but I am working on it. And I think as time goes by I will be able to fine tune how we do things to make it go much smoother. Since I am homeschooling preschool and kindergarten we are taking it pretty easy and making it as fun as possible. We only had one rough day and although it affected homeschool it had nothing to do with homeschool. We decided we would work on learning about volcanoes this week and I think the kids enjoyed it. I know I sure did. Next week I need to be better about taking pics of all the things we do. 

Making playdough to make a volcano for doing an eruptioin experiment. 

After baking our volcano for a bit in the over we then did our experiment with vinegar, soap and baking soda.

I totally counted this as part of homeschool. I had the kids match the giant pile of socks we have. (I never match then!) At first they didn't want to, but we made a game out of it and I may or may not of offered a chocolate chip for every match. 

We found the children's museum and even purchased a year pass. It is nothing big or fancy, but the kids LOVED it! While we were there during regular school hours, there happened to be two other families with school aged kids and come to find out that they are homeschool families too. It was a great boost for me!


On daddy's birthday I had Mac do most of the cake making himself. I tried to let him do as much as he was capable of doing with only a bit of help from me. 

On Friday we went to the library for story time and loaded up on a bunch of books for our unit study next week which will be on money/coins.

Other things we did were letting the kids watch Leap From Letter Factory which was great for Oak. We watched it once a day and by the end of the week Oak could spout of most of the letter sounds, which she couldn't do at the beginning of the week. 

Mac has been reading me BOB books and to my surprise he totally LOVES them. And is doing really well with them. 

On Friday I finally was able to get our Workbox system mostly in place. Mac seemed to like it and looked forward to seeing what was in the next box when he was finished with one. I think it will help me be a bit more organized and help him to know how much he has left before homeschool is over. 

1 comment: