Sunday, January 26, 2014

Our Homeschool week...

 Homeschool was good this week. We really only did it three days which is totally fine. 
I am trying to decide whether to start Mac on a boxed math curriculum or not and one of the curriculums I was looking at had a placement test and Mac tested to be working on the 1st grade level. But I realize that we need to be working on subtraction more. So will be doing more of that during homeschool.
We will be gone for about two and a half weeks and I haven't decided whether we will be doing homeschool while we are there. I am thinking maybe we will just do a few unit studies and some fun activities to go with them. 

I have been working with Oak to recognize her lower case letters. She loves these new Melissa & Doug magnet letters.

Working on word families. 

We have been learning to recognize coins. And we had read a book about them that we got from the library and it suggested we do coin rubbings. It was a total hit with these two!

I have loved using this game for homeschool. However I wish the letters came in lowercase also.

Working on sight words for Mac. 

Mac loves the learning activities we do with dice. He loved this activity which was rolling the dice to 100. He filled as many boxes as the number he rolled and he had to see how many rolls it would take him to get to 100. He switched colors everytime he rolled so he could count his rolls. He guessed it would take him 40 and he did it in 30.

Another dice one. I love this one because it is reading, writing and math all at the same time. 


I joined a Facebook group for the area and one of the mothers (who happens to be LDS) put together a field trip to tour the police station. The kids loved it and it was really fun. I was really shocked/impressed with how calm and controled Mac was. In groups he tends to feed off of everyone's energy and has a hard time controlling himself and listening.

I also was wanting to teach Mac our phone number. When doing copy work to work on writing his name neatly I wrote our phone number for him to copy. He copied it once and I kindof forgot to go over it with him since I was helping Oak with something. So later that day I thought I would go over it with him and before I could, he spouts off our phone number, all 10 digits. A week later he still can say it. 

1 comment:

Desiree said...

It's so fun to see you homeschooling! What a fun field trip too. Your kids will amaze you everyday, believe me (with the stuff they learn, lol)