Friday, June 13, 2014

Mac's honesty...

**Post edit

I worry about my kids, I am sure just as much as most moms do. I worry constantly whether I am doing enough to teach them to make good choices on THEIR OWN because it feels right, not because I told them to. Today, a bit of my worry was put to rest.
We stopped at the Dollar Tree really quick and we were checking out. All of a sudden Mac picks something up and runs up to the mom and little girl who just checked out and were walking out of the store. Then I see him handing them some money. I guess he had seen them drop the money and he made the right choice to give it to them. He told me that he saw them drop the money and at first was waiting for them to leave so he could keep the money but then he thought how that would make him feel bad so he decided to run after them to give it back. He did all of this without me urging him to make the right choice.
The cashier and the people behind us in line saw this also and they told him what a great thing that was for him to do. And told him how proud I was of him for being honest.
A little back story: All morning before this him and I had been talking about the money he has been saving and we even counted all of his money. He had almost $7. He was pretty frustrated when I told him he has to save $10 before we will let him spend it. And we talked about how much more money he would need and ways he could earn it. And how much he would pay in tithing and how much he would have left after that. So more money was definitely on his brain. And I am just so proud of him for making the right choice even though he is wanting more money so that he can spend it.
I love being Mac's mom. Even on the really tough days, I adore him and love him so much I feel I could explode. He is intense and stubborn and does not take no for an answer, but he loves others just as much and really wants to make good choices. And I just love this boy!

**Something I wanted to add to this was a great lesson we were able to teach Mac about following the commandments and the blessing that follow. So the day after this happened we were at a family reunion. They had a find the golden hatchet activity for the kids. They gave clues and you had to go search out in the woods for it. The one to find the hatchet would get $5. Mac was so excited about doing this. I "helped" him for about an hour. Parents weren't supposed to help them just be with them. Him and looked forever. Then my Uncle who was giving the clues kindof helped us with the right direction.  And Mac figured out the right spot by himself with all the clues. We got to the area we thought it was and I spotted it but didn't tell him where it was. He ended up finding it! And he got $5. Later Hubs talked to Mac about how he was blessed for his honesty the day before. It was such a great teaching moment for him.