Thursday, December 2, 2010

Finalized!

This morning we were able to take Oak to the courthouse and have her adoption finalized!

Last week I got a little worried that we wouldn't be able to finalize before our Temple Sealing date. So I had Hubs email our lawyer and he sent a letter off to the county that said that we would like to finalize before the end of the year IN court, but if for some reason they didn't think we would be able to do that then we want to finalize by mail. I was crossing my fingers we could go into court to do it, because it is a really cool experience. Then the day before Thanksgiving we got a call from our Lawyer telling us we got a court date for December 2nd. We were a little taken back by how quick that was. I love that in Oregon you don't have to wait 6 months like in most other states and like we had to with Mac's adoption in Montana.
We were able to go in this morning at 8:30am and Judge Merten was able to sign our paperwork. It was more and less formal than when we did Mac's. Also our lawyer wasn't even there and we didn't have to be sworn in and we weren't even asked any questions. We just sat there for a few minutes while Judge Merten talked about what was happening and it was over with in a few minutes. We then stayed a few minutes afterwards to get some pictures and while the court clerk got our paperwork for us and we were off. I am grateful that my parents and Hubs's Dad were there!


One thing that I was really taken back by was that the second we walked in the doors of the court room I started crying and really had to hold back so that I wouldn't start balling. Adoption is an experience unlike anything. Unless you actually experience some aspect of it, you don't really understand it. We really feel like we were meant to adopt and that it is a special gift from our Heavenly Father.

Oak's birthfamily is really amazing. And I am not just saying that because that is what everyone says. I really mean that! They truly are a part of our family now and we love them more than words could express and we are eternally grateful for all that they have sacrificed and for how much they love Oak and Mac.
And beyond that we are still so grateful for Mac's birthmother. She has been so loving and supportive of us adopting again. And that has meant the world to us. She is so amazing and we love and miss her so dearly!
Next stop, and the most important one, is THE TEMPLE! We can't wait to have Oak FOREVER!

13 comments:

Danielle said...

Congratulations, that is so exciting. One more step down and one more to go. I can't wait to see pictures of your forever family.

Jason & Kelli's Family said...

So happy for you! We had to finalize by mail in Michigan-we didn't know until the certificate arrived in the mail that it was done. It was like the weight of the world was lifted from my shoulders in a way.

I started crying as we walked in the doors of the temple and didn't stop until he was sealed to us. I hate crying in front of others but I couldn't contain the emotions that I felt.

Enjoy your special day! You have such a beautiful family.

Dan and Ang said...

I've been thinking about you all day! I'm SO incredibly happy for your family! Reading this made my heart swell and made me think about finalizing with Drew in March. We had the same judge and probably the same room and even the same time in the morning. :) Congratulations!

Matt and Christy said...

How wonderful! Congratulations again and again. We are so happy for your family.

Jill said...

Congratulations, what a special day! I can't wait to meet her & see you guys again at that important Temple Sealing, its only like a month away, yeah!!!

Ron and Jessica said...

Awesome!

dust and kam said...

Congratulations! I am so happy for your cute family!

When we went in to have Gage's adoption finalized, the minute they started talking to Dustyn, I started sobbing. They finally got to me, I *tried* to state my name. They asked me my questions and I sat there and bawled. I never did answer. I couldn't. Luckily, they took that as my answer. Adoption is such a miracle and I can't talk about it without tears. It is amazing and something so close to my heart. I feel blessed everyday that my family is part of the miracle that is adoption.

dust and kam said...

And I am so excited for your family to go to the temple. Is there anything better than having your family in the temple? I can't wait until we can go again with our little family.

Kristin and Seth said...

Oaklee is so adorable! I am so happy to hear that it is already finalized and you are going to be sealed forever! What a great time in your lives you are experiancing right now! I love reading all the good news 0n your blog!

Kimi said...

Congrats! Your little family is so cute! I am so excited everything is final now so you can go to the temple and have Oaklee sealed to your family forever! What a wondedrful blessing you have to be an adoptive Mom! May your family contiue to be blessed! Love ya~

Stephanie said...

So exciting. So amazing that this little beauty is now yours... and shortly for forever! Congratulations to you and your growing family.

jessica said...

yay! I am so excited :)

Julee and Matt said...

The best news ever! I am SO excited for you guys. I love you all!