Monday, September 8, 2014

Our official first day!

Well I have to say that our first day was a success! It did not go at all like I thought it would, but it turned out great. I tried to be prepared and to not to have high expectations. I think the number one key to our great day was that Mac showed absolutely no resistance to any of it and never grew tired of anything we did. Thankfully I know that won't be the case everyday. 
I was hoping to get up and get school going a bit before we had to take Oak to preschool. The kids kindof dragged doing their morning routine, which they do every morning. After taking pics and making our traditional "first day of school pancakes" and looking for Mac's birth certificate, it was already time to take Oak to school. 






We also got a little dancing to The Piano Guys in. This happened to be Cello Wars which is their favorite!



Mac with his "teacher".


Oak with her teacher Ms. Nicole.
She loved it and her teacher said she did great and was so much fun!

While Oak was gone to school I took Mac over to the local Homeschool Center and registered him. (Thats why I needed his birth certificate). The Center offers times the kids can come in and have fun. They just have to come in at least once a week. They also will pay for up to $1500 worth of approved (non religious) curriculum. He got to visit the classroom for a few minutes and he loved it and I will take him tomorrow morning to stay for a couple of hours. 

After we got home from picking up Oak, we made and ate lunch. While the kids were eating I decided to start reading a book we had gotten from the library about Dinosaurs (which is the unit study Mac has chosen for now). As soon as I started reading, on their own, they decided they wanted to draw and write about dinosaurs while they were listening. As I was reading I wrote a few interesting words down for them to copy (snuck in our copy work). 






Then Mac chose Math to do next. Oak is even doing it with us. 



We were going to do Explode The Code but Mac asked to play this game and so I went with it. He love this Sight Word Popcorn Game I got for like $2 at Walmart in the school supply section. 


This is how Oak played the game. Silly girl!

Next Mac finished Go, Dog Go! from his reading chart. He read the best I have ever heard him. Although he was struggling with words that started with "wh" and "th" which I have never seen him do before. 


Next we did our devotional/scripture. Hubs has been reading The Book of Mormon to Mac at night and he has been marking the chapters off on a chart so he can finish the whole book before he turns eight. So I decided to keep this simpler than I had originally planned. We are just going to continue to read from the scripture readers, which my kids LOVE. Read something or do an activity from the Friend magazine and practice one of the songs they are learning for the primary program. I printed out the music for all the songs and put them in page protectors and they can choose which one we will work on that day. 

We also read our FIAR book which was The Story of Ping. We own that book and the kids have always loved it. We just talked a little bit about China and the culture and that was all we did for that because I was TIRED because I did not sleep most of the night.


An added bonus: Mac saw this page in the book I was reading to them and so he on his own gathered all he needed to officially be a paleontologist and got back to work on his excavation.  It was adorable. 


We started school at about 1pm and ended at about 3:30.

After all of this I turned on Netflix for the kids to watch so that I could sleep a bit. I could not keep my eyes open. They did that until dad got home. So not a perfect day but I am happy about it and so are the kids. 

1 comment:

Blair and Leslie said...

Sounds like a great first day to me! I love how Oak is wearing her backpack at breakfast and dancing.