Friday, March 4, 2011

Allergy Update!


I just remembered that I hadn't updated my blog about taking Mac to the allergist. You can read about why I took him to the allergist HERE.
Before I get into that though. I have to say I am completely annoyed that the ER doctor did not know more about peanut allergies when we were there. Although he was nice and great with Mac, and that Mac really like him, he pretty much blew off the possibility of Mac being allergic to nuts. He came to that conclusion when we said that he eats peanut butter just fine. On top of all of that we had to pay out our deductible in DECEMBER on that visit that didn't do us one bit of good (especially since Mac was mostly better once we got there). I have to keep reminding myself that I was being a concerned parent by taking him to the ER for something that could have potentially been very serious.
So anyway, after a heads-up from my sister-in-law and some research, we found out that someone can have severe nut allergies and not be allergic to peanuts and can eat peanut butter just fine. Peanuts are NOT nuts! They are legumes (beans). Crazy huh?!
I got a nature bar from my dad that was identical of the one that he had given Mac and kept it to take to the allergist. I finally got around to calling a pediatric allergist (with a great recommendation from my neighbor) and finding out who was covered under our insurance. Made the appointment for the next week. And his appointment was actually a week ago today.
We came from the appointment was pretty much what I already knew...that Mac IS ALLERGIC TO NUTS! He was tested for all nuts and a few seeds that were in the nature bar also. And he actually didn't test him for peanuts at all because he said that if he eats peanut butter just fine he can eat peanuts just fine. There are actually a few rare nuts that he isn't allergic too, but the Doctor recommended we not go into that with people as it would just confuse them. I will say however that he had the strongest reaction to cashews and pistachios.
But the best part of coming out of the appointment was that I was ok with the outcome of the tests, I wasn't panicking, I felt like it was something we could handle and I didn't feel like I needed to keep Mac in a bubble for the rest of his life. Things just didn't feel much different. I am not sure if it is the fact that Mac reached the age of three without incident, or the fact that I have really always had a feeling (just Mama instinct i guess) that he was allergic and have just always avoided giving him nuts already.
But despite all of that, Mac does now NEED to have an Epi-Pen with him at all times. Even though his previous allergic reaction never affected his mouth or breathing, it could the next time. We also learned that it is a VERY slim chance that he would grow out of this allergy (like 8%). But the bright side is that allergies are very common place now, schools are more aware and very cautious. So it won't really be an issue when he goes to school as long as we make everyone aware that he is allergic and that we teach Mac what it means to be allergic to nuts. The DR explained to me that I need to keep a fine balance between being very aware that his allergy needs to be taken seriously and the right precautions need to be made and to also not to be overly protective of him and think everyday that he could die from this. And so far I feel like I am doing that pretty good.
Mac will have to go back to the allergist every year mostly to just stay on top of it and the doctor can evaluate and record any reactions he may have had. And to also get his Epi-Pen prescription renewed (which is expensive by the way, yikes!)
And on a semi-side-note: we found out that he is NOT allergic to milk anymore, YAHOO!

2 comments:

Shauna said...

That is great news that they have finally pin-pointed McCoy's allergies. Sometimes the worst part is the not knowing. Once you have a better understanding of what the allergies are you can make up your own game plan.

Personally I have had many trips to the ER for anaphylactic shock, so I know what you are going through. Even though it's a huge pain in the butt to pay for the visit, you were being a GREAT mom when you followed the Spirit.

You might want to think about getting McCoy a medical id bracelet or necklace when he gets older. It's something to think about when you won't be with him all the time. Plus now a days I'm sure you can find some pretty cute ones that he would actually like wearing, maybe some that are kid friendly.

Anyway glad to hear that he is doing better, and that they found out what was bothering him.

Emily said...

I'm so glad you got it figured out, what a relief. Sounds like you already are on top of it so that's good that you' won't have to change your lifestyle too much. And good thing he's not allergic to peanuts because peanut butter is so delicious.