Monday, January 25, 2010

No we are not potty training in our house...

First off, these pictures were from our little family fun that we had last night. I had boughten some glow sticks a couple of weeks ago and kept forgetting about them, and last night Mac was playing with his flashlight and I remembered these. So we turned off all the lights in the house and let Mac play with the glow stick for awhile and then Hubs and I decided to try to do some light writing with it.

So on to Mac's potty training, I have had alot of questions about it.
We are not really potty training right now, although that may be how it looks. I decided early on after watching friends do it and also after much accepted advice on it, that I was going to make it a point to not push the matter in my house, nor was I going to stress about it more than was needed.  Also, I don't feel the need for my child to be an over achiever in this area so that I can say "My child is so smart that he was potty trained way before your child or way before what is normal".So it has been my goal to just be at an "introducing" stage for Mac for awhile. I was going to wait until Mac turned two, but got the potty a few month before then and just let him sit on it here and there so he would learn kindof what it is all about. About a month and half before his birthday he suprised us by being able to go pee-pee on command when we would sit him on the potty. That happened for a couple of weeks without any force. Then all of sudden he didn't want to do it anymore, so we dropped it with just asking him here and there if he would like to go on the potty when we changed his diaper. He has just gotten back into wanting to this last month. So everytime we change his diaper we ask him if he wants to go on the potty  and then he can have some chocolate.
I am still no where near wanting to actually potty train Mac, nor do I think he needs to be. And he has yet to poop on the potty, so I don't think he is willing and ready yet either.
But we will just see how it goes...


Hubs's heart and Mac burning a fire under it I guess (it's his flashlight).

4 comments:

Jenni said...

I sure agree with you about potty training! I think that when they're ready they'll go, and it's not worth the struggle to try and get them "trained" when they are so young. Soon enough he will be ready, even though it might seem like forever.

Sean, Jen, Carson and Addie said...

I agree about the potty training! We waited and just introduced the potty and then one day Carson just decided it was time. About a month later he changed his mind and we didn't force anything and put him in diapers again. After about 3 weeks, he was back to potty training and doing better than he did the 1st try. I really think we have to follow their lead or we will do more harm than good.

p.s. I love the idea of the glow sticks, we are going to have to do that!

Matt and Christy said...

People always have opinions about potty training and when to start. Good for you for letting him do it at his own pace. We did for Elijah, and he only mastered it completely (minus bedtime) a couple of months ago. Love the pics with the glowsticks, btw. That is one of our favorite nighttime activities in the winter. Thanks for getting me that lawyer info!

Brynne, Aaron and Cade said...

Awesome how even with light/dark writing, your handwriting looks just the same! I knew you wrote Mccoy! Right? :) Tell me I'm right. Maybe I'm not but I hope I am!!