Monday, September 17, 2007

I won't be able to sleep tonight...


Well, today when I was cleaning, I found a little surprise. As you have probably guessed from the picture, it was a spider. Not just any spider, we are pretty sure it WAS a Hobo Spider. This picture is pretty close to the actual size it was too. NOT COOL! Hobo spiders are harmful, they wont kill you but they will leave a skin lesion that could last for months, and you are supposed to seek medical treatment immediately. SCARY!! I am really terrified of spiders!!!!! Especially big ones, and I hate squishing them too. So I managed to get a grip on my terror and catch it in a glass jar and then waited to kill it until Hubs got home. We dumped finger nail polish remover in the jar and we managed to poison it and drown it at the same time. So anyway I don't think I will sleep very well tonight, I will probably freak out at the smallest itch. I don't know if I am going to be able to handle spiders in my house all winter, especially big Hobo spiders.
***So that you all wont have to look at this spider every time you look at my blog, I will delete the picture after a day or so when everyone has had the chance to see it at least once.

10 comments:

Laura & Geb said...

I HATE those things... so gross. Brenley, we have found TWO of them in our house. We are having the perimeter of our house sprayed... the first one was gross, the second one.... oh man... YUCK! Must be the time of year for Hobo Spiders!

rose said...

oh i am so sorry about that spring! it's a good thing you don't live in the desert. i have found spiders, black widows, scorpions, date beetles (4" long), sun spiders, vinegaroons and other yucky crawly stuff in the house. look up sun spiders. they give me chills. YUCK! i used to get a glass and just trap it in the glass and aaron would have to take care of it when he got home. now i just use the vacuum because of the kids. dang that's a big spider. good job on having some guts to catch it! YUCK YUCK!

Andy, Amy, Zach and Abby said...

Eek! Spiders are the most horrible creatures EVER! I'm personally so afraid of them I won't go in my backyard right now because of all of the huge garden spiders that are out right now. SCARY!! Anyway, I feel for you and am proud of you for being able to get it in the jar all by yourself. I hope you don't find anymore!!

Julee and Matt said...

Thanks for making me itch all over with this one! Good job catching it, and I would be going and getting lots of spider killing spray!

Emily said...

Thanks Brenley,
now I won't be able to sleep tonight. We had hobo spiders in Rexburg, and they were gigantic...basically tarantulas, like the one you saw. When we first moved into our apartment I saw one and I had a panic attack and made Steve come home from work. He then sprayed this serious bug spray in our house, and we set up spider traps (I would recommend those), and we didn't see another one after that.

I really hope you don't find anymore of those...I can so feel your pain.

Our Pratt Pack said...

So Kelsie had a hobo spider problem in her room and I guess they got this great sticky paper at home depot that's suppose to catch them

mrs. r said...

ewwww. yuck!

JTA said...

I am more than disturbed. I can't handle anything crawly. Good job with the jar. Your a tough girl

kg said...

YUCK! Moving to Alabmam we are infested with all sorts of bugs...I find them daily in our house. I was just told today it takes a good few years in a new home/developement for the bugs to back off! Yesterday's find was a centipede and it was large! So, I'm right there with you!

Skyla said...

I know what you mean! Gross! I just had the pest control guy over last week. I decided I can't stand ants and spiders anymore!