Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Homeschooling it for 2015-16...

Mac is 2nd grade and Oak is Kinder.

We are very fortunate to be a part of a homeschool program (through the school district) where we are able to use $1,500 per child towards curriculum . So we have a lot of options to choose and try from. If I don't like it, no loss to me and I can try something else. 

Also I tend to gravitate more towards unschooling so I like to focus the most on reading, writing and math and everything else is an added bonus. 

MATH:


I really like the idea behind this math program that I got for Mac, but I am not so sure I will keep it for him. I actually ended up starting Oak on it because some of it was under Mac's level. Although I would prefer not to do a curriculum for math for her for kinder.  My goal for him this year is to work on his subtraction skills, introduce multiplication and get better with addition math facts. He understands time, but we need to work on a clock with hands and he knows how to count money. 

SPELLING


I have heard so many people say they like All About Spelling, but I was skeptical. I got this for Mac since he needs a lot of work on his spelling. We have done four lesson and I LOVE IT. I am excited to see how Mac grows in his spelling from it.  

PHONICS


I plan on continuing this with Oak but not sure about Mac. I don't want to overload him so it will probably mostly be something he does when I need him to do something on his own. Since Oak is reading now I am trying to get her through the Get Set books to get her up to the Explode The Code. 

WRITING:


I am pretty excited about this although we haven't started it yet. I am waiting on another book from my order so both Oak and Mac can do it together. 

VOCABULARY:


And something I started this week, although I am not sure how long it will last is having Mac look up  a word he doesn't know and copy it and the meaning and then try to use the word through out the day. My MIL who is a retired elementary teacher gave me this dictionary. 

READING:


I did this reading chart with Mac last year and it was a success. Now that Oak is reading I thought we would do it with her. 

SCIENCE:


We are able to get science kits through our homeschool program and I got the first few sets of these. We will be doing a kit every week. We will also watch Bill Nye as Oak got the whole set of videos as a birthday gift. 


Other things we are doing:

 READING:
--listening to books on CD
--I have one read-a-loud that I read to the both of them.
--Mac is reading his own chapter books now, but I will sit with him once a day and we will alternate reading pages. 
--And Oak is doing her reading chart and reading Bob books to me everyday.

WRITING:
The kids will do penpal letters. Some to friends across the country and some to Grandma C and some to cousins.

GOSPEL:
We read every night as a family. But in the morning at breakfast we read the scripture readers. Trying to figure out something to do that is just a little bit more with it like have the kids draw pictures of what we read or something like that. 
We will also keep working on memorizing the Articles of Faith and some other important scriptures. 

EXTRA:

Oak is going to do choir. I couldn't get Mac to do it.
We are holding off on Taekwondo for now. 
We will do Young Hearts which is program where the kids will  go and do crafts and games at a senior/assisted living home once a month. We did it last year and loved it. 
As many field trips as possible.
And they will go to the homeschool center (which is the program that provides the curriculum money) once a week for a couple hours to play with other kids, play games and play on the computer. 

That's all I can think of at the moment. 
I am still trying to get organized but it has been a bit of a battle. 

No comments: