Saturday, April 11, 2015

the read-a-loud dream...


So I have to admit that I am not a reader. I have the HARDEST time focusing on reading a book to myself. I can focus a bit better if I read out loud. I married a book reader who came from a family of book readers. And when I say book readers, I mean my husband doesn't put a book down until it is done. He literally can't focus on anything else but reading. 
Even though I am not a book reader, I have loved reading my kids little picture books since they were babies. We would read several during the day and several at night everyday. In fact, when Mac was little and the house would be quiet, it wouldn't be the usual mischief that you would think. If he was quiet, he was looking at books, which he did ALOT. As the kids have gotten older, daddy started reading chapter books to them before bed. They have loved this. And because I have a hard time reading chapter books I have left this job to daddy. And I have continued to just read picture books to the kids.
As a homeschooling mom, I want my kids to be book readers. Since Mac has learned to read, I have been waiting for him to hit the reading bug and for him to always have his nose in a book. That hasn't happened yet. However, he LOVES to be read to. So to boost our homeschool experience, I decided I would start reading a chapter book to the kids during the day. And I have also been making a better effort for him to see me sit down and read a book. Even if I can only get through half a page in one day because of all the interruptions from my little people. 
We started with Pinocchio. Then Peter Pan (which we didn't finish because it was really hard to read), then we didn't do any for a couple of weeks. But a couple of weeks ago, I picked up The Wizard of Oz and my kids were asking me to read it every spare moment we had. We finished the book in a week and a half. Grandma C happened to have the movie so we borrowed it to watch once we finished. 
Then just this last week, we started reading Little House in the Big Woods (The first book in the Little House series). And my kids have done the same with this book. They want me to read it during breakfast, during lunch, and as soon as we have a free moment. I even have read to them before I have gotten out of bed in the morning with them snuggled up next to me. 
But the change in our home life, I feel has dramatically changed. I feel like there are more quiet, thoughtful moments. My kids are getting along better. There is just a better over all feeling in our home. And I have noticed  how amazing Mac is at listening to what is being read to him and retaining it. Oak on the other hand listens and retains most of it, but her talent is interrupting about every sentence or so. Silly girl. 
The moments I am reading to my kids has truly been my most favorite moments by far. 

1 comment:

James and Elizabeth said...

Awe. I love it. I'm the same way. I have a very hard time sitting down to just read. But I want my kids to love reading. Thanks for the wonderful example.

We've moved into the books on cd phase so I can clean while they listen. It's nice but I bet it's better when you read in person.