Monday, May 7, 2012

homestudy thoughts...

My kids watching a movie, so cute right?!


Currently we are getting our house ready for our homestudy inspection for our adoption application. It is the final step in being able to be approved to adopt. I was scrubbing down our kitchen cabinets the other day in preparation (and no, our house does not need to be immaculate to pass and  really our house should look more like the above picture when it is inspected because it shows kids having fun). It is a chore that I don't do very often and so it made me think a lot about the reason that I was doing it this time. What came to the surface was some mixed feelings, bittersweet feelings. Feelings of insecurity regarding infertility and a bit of excitement at what it will also help bring us.

I first have to say that I totally understand the purpose in having home inspections. If I was a birth mother, and choosing to make that sacrifice for my child, I would want my child to go to the best, safest home possible. I would never want my child thrown into a home where it was assumed it was safe. So again, I totally understand why it is required.

But it is still hard to swallow the fact that the majority of the population of those having children do NOT have to have every nook and cranny of their house inspected to be able to bring their baby home. And they do not have to prove that they will be good parents, or have a strong marriage, or be asked how they will discipline their child, or have to have a physical to show that you are perfectly healthy, or have to show they have enough money or room enough in their house.  It is just another infertility punch to the gut.

And with that being said, those feelings aren't as painful as they used to be. They are just feelings, and I have learned to validate them, ponder on them and then move on.

Because I AM a Mother. We have done this twice before and it brought us that much closer to finding our babies. And we found them! And it is doing the same for us this time, bringing us that much closer to our 3rd baby. And that is the exciting part and makes it all so worth it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never thought about that pain with infertility. You are right, when you aren't adopting you can have the nastiest house and the worst marriage and the baby still gets to come home. Instead of a homestudy they should read your blog! You seem to be such a loving and fun mom. You also write of your struggles but looking at the pictures of your kids it is obvious they are so well loved and cared for. A friend of a friend is pregnant. I was really hoping she would choose adoption. She had mixed feelings about adoption. I kept telling the friend the wonderful things of providing a home where there are two stable loving parents and siblings. I thought of your blog the entire time. How I wish I could have shared your blog with the friend of the friend so she could see the greatness of adoption. How I wish I could have lead her to you and your family.

Jen said...

I totally agree with you! I would get so upset that I had to take a class to become a mom! When teenagers we're having kids around me right and left! Good luck to you and I hope you get another little one soon!

Unknown said...

I had trouble with those same feelings when we started the adoption process. I agree, its just another blow.
You are an amazing mom and any child would be lucky to have you! I am so excited to see what happens.