Friday, May 20, 2011

The Butte

Last week my friend B and I decided to go on a hike with our kids because the weather was supposed to be beautiful. We ended up at The Butte. It is a bit more than one mile to the top, and the hardest part is at the top where the trail is mostly climbing rocks. The three boys (ages 5, 3.5, 2.5) were walking the whole way, so we started thinking it was a possibilty that we wouldn't make it to the top, although it was our goal to go all the way. I was pretty worried that Mac wouldn't make it because he hates going on walks. But he did AWESOME! He made it to the top with out much complaining and complained quite a bit on the way down about his feet and stomach hurting. Which to be honest I didn't blame him, because I was in pain too with Oak on my back. But with alot of encouragment and promise of ice cream he kept going. It definately seemed like it took much longer to get down, which seems opposite of the usual. But it was so much fun and every ache and pain I felt during and after was so totally worth it. And now that I know Mac is a pretty good hiker, I am excited to do more hikes this summer.



This is pretty much true to how steep the top, rocky part of the trail was.

I was so scared that I would fall backwards at this part of the trail. And it didn't help that Oak kept on pulling my hair, which would pull me backwards. When we took her out of the pack at the top she had a huge wad of my hair in her hands. In this picture I put my hood up, but she kept pulling that off too and it was too hot to have on.

part of our view while we ate lunch at the top, so beautiful!l



My cute, goofy boy!

The whole gang!!
Thanks B, C & D

3 comments:

Emily said...

FUN TIMES!!!! Oh man what good hikers you have, I love it! I miss hanging with you girls, that looks like a blast!

Love you!

jessica said...

I love it! That is so fun!! I think that hike is hard and I most definitely did not have Oaklee on my back!

Jenni said...

Aww I'm so sad we missed that hike. We LOVE hiking. We'll have to try and get together another time. It looked like a beautiful day!