Monday, September 6, 2010

Oak's birth story...

Since the beginning of the year, I knew there was a baby girl waiting to come to our family. I could imagine me holding her, and my arms ached so badly for her. I missed her before I even knew her. When I realized this, I hurried our adoption process and made a deadline for ourselves to be approved by. We were able to be approved when we planned (April 26, 2010), even though we did the majority of the process during Hubs's busy season. But we felt someone was missing from our family and we wanted to be ready.

Our wait was over when on July 1st we found out that we had been chosen. The night before we found out, Hubs, Mac and I  spent the evening outside together. We pulled weeds, rolled in the grass, found potato bugs, worms and frogs to play with. I remember thinking when we went inside of how content I was with my life and where I was and where we were going. I felt completely overwhelmed with love for my family and utterly blessed! And then our next little roller coaster started the next day.

I will actually never be able to tell most of Oak's adoption story. But just know that it is an amazing story and Oak is truly meant for our family. She has amazing birthparents and an amazing birthfamily. We love them so much and are so grateful that they listened to the spirit (as we had prayed that they would) and chose us to be Oak's forever family. Words truly can not describe the feelings I we have of how we were brought together.

After we had found out we were chosen we did not tell a single soul for two weeks. It nearly killed me, especially since we were headed to the lake house with Hubs's family the same day we were chosen. We waited so long because we were just waiting to meet the birthparents and family. And then we really only told a few family members and a few close friends. It all happened so quickly that we wanted to wait to make a public announcement. Which is why you were all surprised! SURPRISE!

Oak was actually due on August 3rd and her birthmother ended up being induced a week and a half over due. The birthmother asked me to be in the delivery room, which I was totally shocked by. I never thought I would ever have the chance to see my children come into the world. After an hour of good pushing, Miss Oak just was not moving down at all. Epidural was not working and she was just in alot of pain. I was on the verge of crying myself because I felt so bad for her pain. So her birthmother ended up choosing to have a c-section. She asked me to be in the OR with her, she could have chosen her mother or her boyfriend (the birthfather). They handed me a package of paper scrubs to wear which were literally XXL. I had to tie a not in the waist band of the pants to keep them up. Oak's birthmother (I will call her L from now on) was sent to the OR and we all waited until I could go in. After awhile the nurse came and got me and sat me down by L's head. And I held her hand as they were trying to get Oak out. Then the nurse told me to stand up and look just as they pulled Oak out. I could not believe my eyes and that she was finally here. They showed her to me really quick and then took her to the adjoining room to get her checked out, cleaned up, cord cut and wrapped up. I got to go and watch and a was able to cut her cord and then after she was all wrapped up they handed her to me. I started crying at that moment when I officially met my baby girl and finally had her in my arms. I can't even begin to describe exactly what I felt. I was then able to take her back into the OR so that L could see her. I laid Oak right up by L's face so that they were touching cheek to cheek. After a few minutes I was able to take her to the recovery room where we waited for L and so that they could finish checking her out and measure and weigh her. After they did that, I was able to hold her "skin to skin" and then was able to give her a bottle. It was a few more hours before Hubs was able to really see her and hold her since we were in the recovery room and visitors are not allowed. L asked me to stay in the hospital in her room with her for the the next 3 nights and 3 days. So I was able to care for Oak and keep L company. During the day her family would come to visit and I would go eat and wander the hospital for awhile. Hubs commuted home every night to go be with Mac. And actually Hubs even gave a talk in our Ward on placement day. He gave his talk and hurried back to us so we could get paperwork signed and take our baby girl home. Late afternoon we were finally released from the hospital and took our baby out into the 100 degree weather and drove home.


Seconds after delivery and pretty mad.

Just after I cut her cord.


Me cutting her cord.


Me holding her for the first time.


So beautiful even as a newborn.

BIG girl!

You can see where her poor head is swollen on the left side. We think that is the way her head was trying to come out which is why she wasn't coming out. OUCH!

Foot prints.


Giving her her first feeding.

Hubs holding her for the first time a few hours after she was born.

11 comments:

WASHINGTON SOUTHWORTHS said...

Beautiful story! I cried. I had no idea that you got to be in the OR with her... what a blessing to be there for the birth. She is beautiful. Congrats on your new addition!

Anonymous said...

Brenley, great story...so much of what you wrote rang parallels from with our recent adoption, I too was srengthened in my testimony of knowing my children were really meant for us specifically from all the sacred details surrounding us being chosen. I am so glad you were in the delivery room! I was able to be there also to see the birth of our daughter & cut her cord....amazing. I wish you the best and hang in there with all the adjusting with two little ones...it will start to seem less insane soon, I promise! :) xo
-Becca

Kimi said...

I am in tears. How sweet. That is a beautiful story. You and Bryce are amazing! What wonderful people your little ones have as birth parents. Prayers are answered. Thank you fir sharing this sweet story.

Kimi said...

I am in tears. How sweet. That is a beautiful story. You and Bryce are amazing! What wonderful people your little ones have as birth parents. Prayers are answered. Thank you fir sharing this sweet story.

Julee and Matt said...

Oh...I am crying, I know your shocked. :) Yeah for Oaklee and her wonderful birthparents. I am so over the moon excited she is here and with you guys. I can't wait until I get to meet her! Love you all!!

Marc and Megan said...

I love that every adoption has its own unique story - thanks for sharing some of Oaklee's. I can't wait til Ben will understand the miracles that happened to bring us together. I love adoption!! I am so thrilled for your little family!!

Emily said...

Great story!! She is so beautiful, I just love those big babies!!

How amazing that you got to be a part of the delivery, what a great experience. She's so beautiful and I'm so happy I got to see her in person. I love her! And you!!

Dan and Ang said...

I LOVED reading this! It brought all of my feelings from Drew's birth back to me. I love how much you love adoption and how much you love your birthfamilies and how much you LOVE your BABIES!!

Swanson Family said...

What an amazing birthmother Oaklee has - to allow you to be such an important part of the delivery - what a precious gift. Thank you for sharing this with us. We are so excited that you have Oaklee with you know!

Cali and Travis said...

WOW! Just WOW!

Heather said...

Wow Brenley! What an amazing way to meet your daughter. That is a great story. I'm glad that L chose you to be there with her. What an amazing women!