Monday, July 20, 2009

it had to happen sooner or later...

(cell phone pic, sorry for the bad quality)
Well we got home yesterday from Vegas and when it came to time to put Mac to bed he was having a hard time. We both are ok with letting Mac cry it out, it usually works really well for him. Last night was a different story. He was hysterical for a really long time, so hysterical that he was very horse. So Hubs tried to calm him down. Which usually doesn't work and we know that, but we still try to do it so that he knows we are there for him. He didn't calm down so Hubs took him down stairs to watch a movie. He calmed down immediately. After a little while, Hubs told him it was time to go to bed and he does his little cuddle thing where he thinks we won't make him go to bed if he cuddles with us. Hubs takes him up to his room and tries to rock him before putting him down. Mac becomes hysterical again. Hubs put him in his crib and left the room. About 20 seconds later I hear a big thud. And ran to the room to make sure he was ok. I open his door and he is laying on the floor. I was panicked, except that I didn't think he was hurt because he didn't start crying harder when he fell (that might be because he was already crying as hard as he could). I pick him up and he calms down, we take him downstairs to watch tv and let him calm down. Hubs decided to squeeze all his body parts to see if Mac flinched or cried from any pain. Thankfully, he is fine. We then decided to give him some milk and try to put him down again. He fell asleep almost instantly. I was a little freaked out by the whole thing that I couldn't sleep. I was worried he would do it again. So I am just getting into bed a little after midnight, and a few minutes later I hear Mac start crying. He didn't sound hysterical so I let him cry for a little while, but I was just really worried that he would fall out again. So I went in to see if I could comfort him. He didn't want me to do anything but take him downstairs to cuddle on the couch and watch a movie. I refused to do that so he through a huge fit. I am always afraid that I am going to drop him when he act like that so I put him in his crib and I just sat in the rocking chair and ignored him, but kept my eye on him in case he tried to climb out again. I tried to be really still so he didn't think any movement was a reaction to him screaming. He stood at the end of crib screaming and reaching out for me and saying "mama". He then proceeded to move on to wanting daddy and then thought if he threw his blanket out of the crib and screamed for it that I would get it for him and then pick him up. It was actually comical. He as asking for all sorts of stuff. But I was so proud of myself for just sitting there while he screamed it out, I knew he would have to get tired enough to go to sleep. He tried to climb out 3 times and I would just go over and set him back down in his crib. The third time I had to do that he screamed for about 5 more seconds and then stopped mid scream and layed down and went to sleep. When I went back to bed it was after 1:30 am. It took him more than an hour to calm down enough to go to sleep. We were all exhausted this morning. Thankfully Mac slept until 6:30. So far he has only tried to climb out when he is really mad and hysterical. So that gives me a little relief, but really I know it is only a matter of time before he is really climbing out. He is not ready for a toddler bed at all, so I don't know what we will do.

8 comments:

Brynne, Aaron and Cade said...

YOu are a tough mama for being so patient and calm with him. If Cade had ever acted like that it would have sent me through the roof! Way to go brenley for sticking to your guns! I hope things get better and that he learns to not climb out. Or, if you let him climb and fall, he might learn his lesson? I don't know. Hang in there! And NO WONDER you didn't want to go swimming today, what a late night for you! :(

Sonja said...

Way to stick to it! I would imagine that would have been extremely difficult. Thankfully, I haven't experienced that with my children...but I have HEARD that the crib tents work. I personally think that could make things worse (as far as him getting hysterical), but I suppose it's something to think about and consider. It might at least keep him safely in his crib. Or, just go for the toddler bed and put a gate at his door so he can't get out. Good luck! Hopefully McCoy gets back into his regular sleeping habits soon....maybe he just needs to get back on your normal routine.

The Wright Family said...

Good job. I am wondering when I will have a little boy climbing out of his crib. I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet. I haven't ever checked out those crib tents, but that is a good idea. Way to stay strong.

Emily said...

Oh how scary...I was always afraid of Easton climbing out of his bed, but he never did because he's not a climber. It's so scary though how easily they could get hurt. Seriously, props to you for sitting in there and sticking it out, that would be so hard when they are screaming.

I love that pic because I can see where he chews on his crib.

party of four said...

Wow, what a night! Thomas went through a phase where he only wanted to sleep in our bed, but after we let him cry it out, he LOVES his crib, and goes to bed willingly. However, we had to really let him cry...without even opening the door. Every time we did, it set him off again. Now he just lays down and we leave the room. It's fantastic.

Love all of your pictures! I actually thought of buying a dvd to learn how to take good pictures with a dslr.....I guess there are some good dvds out there. But...I'd much rather take a class. I'll have to watch for one. Thomas sees Dr. Unger...but in the same clinic. He's a great guy, and since he has had kids in the past with the same fistula/esophagus issues as T, we stuck with him. As soon as I'm done with classes (which is very soon!) we should get together! Your new house is looking great, by the way. I'm definitely jealous! Do you love the email-esque comment? Maybe I just need to email you next time...

Ron and Jessica said...

I am SOOOO not looking forward to this!

Kim said...

I have also heard of the crib tents but never had the heart to try it. You are one tough mommy to let him cry it out like that. I am a wimp!

Michelle said...

Oh the joys of parenting! It is good to be tough though, that is the only way they will learn, unfortunately. Way to stick it out.