Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The CALL...(Mac's Adoption Story~Part 4)


If you need a refresher on how we got to this point or if you have not had the chance to read our story make sure you do...





and now for Part FOUR...

(this part is actually taken from a previous post I had written on the year anniversary of us receiving this call.)




"My cell phone rang on Tuesday, July 24th, 2007, and I did not recognize the phone number so I didn't answer it. After a minute my phone made a little noise telling me they had left a message. It was our social worker, Cary. He said that he would track down Hubs at work. I got a little antsy thinking maybe this was the call we had hoped for, but I wasn't jumping to too many conclusions, I didn't want to get my hopes up. A few minutes later Hubs calls me from work, and said that Cary had called him and told him that we had been chosen by a Birthmother. He gave us her name, age and phone number and told us when the baby was due. He told us to call her and it was up to us how we went forward with the Birthmother and that he didn't really need to be involved. I was kind of in shock, I didn't cry or get hysterical, I just said, OK. I guess this is it.
I waited until Thursday evening to call C. I was a bit terrified, since I really hate talking on the phone. So Hubs and I kneeled down together to pray for the strength we needed to do this. I gave her a call and we talked for about a half hour or so. One thing I remember very clearly her asking us was, "So are you excited?" I couldn't believe that she was so sweet to ask us that. She told me that she was going to find out the next day if the baby was a boy or girl and she was going to have the ultrasound recorded on a video tape for us. She said that she thought that the baby would have brown curly hair and brown eyes (so we have been quite surprised by his red hair and bright blue eyes, which we love). We tried to come up with a good weekend we could get together with her since she only lived an hour away. It wouldn't be for weeks that we would all be able to do this and I was a bit disappointed because I was so anxious to meet her. C called me the next afternoon to tell me that it was a BOY. I was so excited! Except that Hubs and I could not ever agree on boy names, ever.
I called my mom and dad that afternoon. My parents had already planned on coming for Christmas, so I had asked my mom if they were still planning on coming for Christmas, she said yes. So I told her I just got her the best Christmas present and I asked her if she wanted to know what it was. She said yes, so I said "a baby boy". She was a little confused. So I then told her that we were going to adopt a baby boy due in December. She started to cry.
Hubs's parents were coming the next day to visit for a few days. So we decided to wait and tell them when they got there. When they got there Hubs waited till he was ready and told them that they would have another grandson coming in December. They were confused too, and we had to explain that we were CHOSEN by a birthmother to adopt her baby boy. Hubs's Mom was in tears. "


We knew from the moment we got this call that this is the reason Heavenly Father had lead us to Montana (of all places). We are very grateful that we followed those promptings that lead us to where we needed to be for C to find us.



We had almost five months to wait for our little guy, which sometimes seemed like forever. But I am so ever grateful for that time that we got to know C and create a relationship with her that means the world to us. It also gave us time to prepare to become parents to this precious little guy.

3 comments:

Jason & Kelli's Family said...

It brings tears to my eyes jut thinking about that moment, when the hope you have, begins to be a reality. Thank you for sharing your story.

Stephanie said...

Very precious. I am so grateful that you and C have such a great relationship. When McCoy is old enough, he will really appreciate that access and just knowing that these two incredible women in his life love each other and him. What a gift.
I look up to you Brenley... you are amazing~

party of four said...

Brenley, you made me cry...a sweet, happy cry though, of course. Having children is such an emotional process, no matter how they make it to your arms. I always thought I would have problems getting pregnant...but then it happened right away. What I wasn't prepared for was the complications of my pregnancy and Thomas' birth (and fist few months). But, I can't imagine it any other way, and I'm sure you feel the same way. I didn't want to live in Utah when we did, just like you didn't want to live in Montana, but I know that we were supposed to so Thomas could have such wonderful doctors and nurses to take care of him. There are so many "what if" scenarios, but it always works out if we listen to the counsel we are given. I'm so happy for you guys, and so glad you shared your sweet story. We really need to get our cute boys together so they can play...or fight over toys, to be more realistic.