Thursday, August 18, 2016

Getting ready for homeschooling...

We are about to start out 4th year of homeschooling. That is crazy to me. When I started homeschooling I never imagined myself still homeschooling at this point. We love it! It is HARD, but we love it. This year Mac will be in 3rd grade and Oak will be in 1st grade. We are still using the homeschool center in one of the school districts here. We get a substantial stipend and large selection of curriculum to choose from. This year Mac will be doing the Bookshark curriculum. It is a literature based all in one curriculum. I am really excited about it although a little worried as we have mostly been unschooling up until now. Mac will also do his math through Khan Academy online for now. I had gotten him Singapore math and I really liked it but he didn't like the workbook part and so I thought doing math online would be great for him. 
For Oak we will just practice reading some more and play lots of math games and she can be included in some of the stuff that I will be doing with Mac. 


These are almost all of the books we will be using to learn through Bookshark. I had already pulled the books we will use for the first week of school.


This is the big binder that holds the schedule for the entire year. Seems so overwhelming to look at bu its all layed out and I love that. 





Some other things I plan on using this year is having Mac and Oak use these math wrap ups when I am working with the other kid. They are pretty fun. 


I am also really excited that I was able to get this. I have heard great things about it. 



I also will have some bins for Oak to choose something from everyday to do while I am working with Mac. 


Oak loves anything ancient egypt so I ordered some things for her to do this year. 


Mac has been really into rocks so I got these for him to do. 


I got this reading program for Oak and I forgot to order a crucial part of it and I am not sure I will be able to order now. We will see how that goes. 


I think I will work through these with Oak.


I tried uploading these picture three separate times and no matter what I did they still would load sideways. Frustrating! I got these books to for Oak to practice reading. 


I got these for Oak for math. We may or may not use them. She likes using Khan academy to. We might do a little of each. 


The kids have been really interested in all things Native American so I got them these. 


I got these to use when we are reading the Little House books. 




This is what Mac will be using with Bookshark just the first week and some of it a bit longer. 


School supply shopping! I love it all!  I always buy a full box of spiral notebooks for .17 cents. 


I always replenish our Crayola markers because the kids are rough on them. 


I think the boombox is my favorite purchase. I got it so the kids can use it to listen to audio books while I am working with the other kid. The kids were loving it so much that I went and bought a second one. I also always love the Scholastic learning games in a bag they have every year in the school supply section at Walmart. We use them a ton. And these ones will be great for Oak this year. Also some bins for organizing my closet. 

We plan to start this coming monday and I am excited! We have been practicing going to bed earlier this week and have struggled with getting up earlier and getting our chores done in a decent time. 

Some other things we will be doing this year is implementing a devotional to start out school day with. I found this 36 months of FHE lesson plans CD in my stuff. I have no clue where it came from. But it has four weeks for every topic and stuff to go along with it. I think I will simplify it for my kids and do one topic a week for four days. And we will add a five minute personal scripture reading time in there. 

I had this amazing thing come to my mind the other day after a few rough days with the kids. The kids will each get an assigned night that they will get to stay up a little later (maybe an hour or so) to do an activity with mom and dad. I think this will help with my worry about early bed time and not having enough time as a family once daddy is home. And will help with behavior because they will be getting some alone mommy and daddy time. 

2 comments:

Desiree said...

Ooh, looks like an exciting year! How fun. Love seeing all those fun books.

James and Elizabeth said...

Oh I can't tell you how excited i am for you. I've been wanted to buy Gwenevere a new CD player for over a year now but seeing your boombox is making it really hard to wait until Christmas to buy it for her. LOL I wish I lived closer to you and I could be apart of your homeschooling. You are amazing.