Monday, November 24, 2014

crazy week...

This week started out VERY rough! Monday afternoon I got a call from my mom (who is in Utah) that my dad had been rushed to the hospital. When she called they thought he had had a heart attack and that the paramedics had to do CPR on him. It was one of those moments that you stop and drop to your knees and pray your heart out. It was really scary. Thankfully he didn't have a heart attack but he actually had acute kidney failure brought on by antibiotics he was taking. He spent a day not being able to breath on his own and being sedated to keep him from tearing out the breathing tube. He also suffered a fractured skull and some slight temporary brain damage from the fall when he went unconscious. My mom said that he fell straight back like a log. We are very thankful he was in the place he was at when it happened, that he wasn't driving, or walking up stairs or in the middle of nowhere. I hated that I wasn't there to help, but I knew I couldn't do anything if I was and my mom had my two brothers there to be with her. He is doing great and has completely recovered. The doctors said it is a miracle he is not dead or a vegetable. He has two do two week of therapy before he can head back home to Oregon.

 

Before Monday Mac had a few very difficult days. And because of it Monday landed him a FULL day of cleaning the house. He was able to get a few things done that I rarely get to. And by the end of the day I had a very clean house and a boy who had a bit better attitude.


While Mac was cleaning under the couch cushions I found in the crevice of the couch our other van key fob. It has been missing since the begining of the year and we were going to spend a few hundred dollars to buy a new one. I was so excited!


This  cute little drawing has been on our chalkboard for awhile but I decided to erase it so I took a picture. Mac drew it for the missionaries when they came for dinner. It says prayer and it is a guy praying, eyes closed (the lines across the eyes are eyelashes), and the part under the face is hands that are together like you do when you pray. 


Between Mac and my dad I ate chocolate for 3 days straight until I had a headache for two days straight. After I had eaten all the chocolate left in the halloween candy hubs kindly brought these home for me. 
Oak saw them on my nightstand and asked what they were for. I told her that daddy knew that I had a rough day and he knows that I like chocolate so to be nice he brought those home for me.  She said, "So now I can tell my husband what to buy me when I have a rough day." This girl is hilarious!


My kids greeted me as pirates one morning. Love them!


After quiet time the kids wanted to play "store" with me. Mac set this up, so cute!

Terrible picture but it captures what our bed looks like for scripture reading every night. 


Mac and Oak have pen pals that live in Virginia. When we went to the local museum last week we got some post cards to send them. This is Macs. I try to take a picture of all of his work so that I can keep it with all his school work. 


We were working on skip counting by 2s and I was trying to get Mac to work past 20. So I had him write down the numbers.

He did great. The numbers on in order but the lines are out of order just because he ran out of space. 


This was kindof a spur of the moment activity that just came to me.  Oak really wants to be doing math but she just doesn't get it yet. She gets reading and letters and letter sounds much better. So I realized we need to work on numbers with manipulatives better. I had her seperate these little linking toys in to colors then count how many of each color and match it with the number on the skip bo card. It was a hit. And she did great.


After she finished. 

This girl is amazing at cutting out things. She stays right on the line and I am always impressed. 


I randomly found this graphing dot to dot. I thought Mac would poop out on doing it half way through. But he was persistent and finished it. He loves basically anything math related.


I took this picture because I was just sitting on the couch reading and he grabs his toys and gets as close to me as possible and just started playing right next to me. I thought it was cute.


Monday Mac got two stripes (red & blue) added to his belt and then on Wednesday he got one more (white). Oak also got one stripe on her belt. (I think blue). I don't remember what they are for but the kids know.  They are loving TKD and doing so well. In the photo Mac is on the left sparring.

Handsome boy. He was just sitting on my bed and looked so cute!

And of course we have to take a goofy one if we are going to take one with a nice smile. 


I had read some ideas on how to make doing chores more fun. Every morning while I am making breakfast the kids are to empty the dishwasher and put away all the clean dishes.  Somedays they have a bad attitude about it so this morning I told them I could get breakfast made before they finished the dishwasher. I happened to be making french toast that morning so I knew they would win. They thought it was so fun and they scurried and got it all done.


They spent a whole afternoon making puppets for a puppet show that they wanted to do for me. 


My boys snuggling me.


She just looked way too grown up for me. She looks like a pre teen in this picture, ack!


They are great friends, most of the time. I am so grateful they have each other. 


I got these work magnets at the dollar tree and Mac likes to make up his own sentences. 


Friday night was movie night and we watched Mr. Peabody and Sherman which we loved. 


He has been begging me for weeks to let him teach me how to play. I really have NO desire to learn to play but this boy has a gift of teaching and so I want to nurture that as much as possible. 


Our happy sabbath photo. 


I clearly remember asking him at least three times before we left for church to go put on his dress socks. Then we got to church and notice this. Silly boy! 


Every day this week the kids will eat little cutie after little cutie. I am totally okay with that! Mac was eating his fifth and he finished off that other one in the photo. He said, "I am trying to make a world record of how many a six year old can eat."

Right before bed Oak did the bottom of her hair and had to put in a ton of bows. Funny girl!

 

2 comments:

Desiree said...

I bet you guys would love bedtime math. We just discovered it, and my kids are really liking it. They have a new word problem everyday, and it has different questions for different levels.

hope2adoptbaby said...

Scary about your dad!...even more so being so far away. So glad he's OK.

Hard days stink.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Shelby