Saturday, May 9, 2009

for my children...

Mac looking at the Christus at the Idaho Falls Temple Visitor Center ~ April 2009


With it being Mother's Day today, I thought it appropriate to share this list that Hubs and I have been compiling for awhile. It is our own guidelines in how we hope to raise our children. These are all things that we have talked about over the years as we watched others raise their children. This list is by no means complete, I am sure that I will always come up with more. And no doubt I will probably fail at a majority of these, but I need the reminder. So my plan is to type this list up in a beautiful way to frame it and put it some where that will allow me to be reminded often.


  • Be an example
  • Teach with love
  • Teach respect, do not demand it
  • Create memories
  • Speak kindly
  • Love unconditionally
  • Be happy, and not negative
  • Set reasonable expectations
  • Always make time for them
  • Build strong relationships
  • Learn from natural and applicable consequences
  • Do not let my own pride get in the way of loving my children
  • Never just say "no". Always give a legit reason for saying no.
  • Teach them that they are Children of God
  • Teach them to be like our Savior
  • Use positive praise when ever possible
  • Help build their self esteem and never put them down
  • Make them feel that it is ok to come to us when they are in trouble or have questions
  • Continually teach them the Gospel
  • Prepare them to have their own eternal family someday

5 comments:

Jenni said...

Brenley, you are a wonderful mother! Thanks for always being such a good example.
Happy Mother's Day!

The Michiganders said...

So beautiful! What great goals.

Kim said...

What a great list! It makes me rethink my own "list". I found that I was getting upset easily over the dumbest things so I put a quote by Gordon B. Hinckley up in the house where I see it often. It is:

"In all of living, have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured."

It helps me enjoy even the chaotic moments and laugh instead of scold. :o)

Hope your Mother's Day was fantastic!

Carrie and Jon said...

Awesome list! You sound like such a great mom. My husband and I have something like that at our home, but it's more like our family creed. I framed it, and it's displayed in our living room. I love to read it! I hope that you had a wonderful Mother's Day!

Smith Boys, and the Girl said...

You know, that Temple is in my hometown, but I'm sure you would have called if you were passing through my town.