Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Why we chose to homeschool...

I realized that I have never written about why we chose to homeschool. There are a lot of reasons why families choose to homeschool. Their kids may be struggling to learn, getting bullied, don't like the school, don't like what they are teaching, just to name a few. Our reason is none of those.

It first came on my radar when Mac was pretty little. Before he was even old enough for preschool. I don't remember exactly why I started thinking about it seriously, but I remember it being on my mind a lot.

I did not grow up being homeschooled. I was an average student who does not really have a love for learning. I did the very minimal just to be average. I loved grade school, hated middle school and tolerated/enjoyed highschool.

 I kept thinking I wanted more for my family. I read a lot of articles and blogs of those who homeschool and just kept thinking I love their family dynamic and I want that for our family. But I couldn't wrap my mind around ME homeschooling Mac or any of our kids. I tried a few times to do some learning things with him, but he hated it and it was frustrating and discouraging. I just kept thinking there is no way I could do this. But I had this feeling that I really needed to homeschool Mac.

When I talked to Hubs about it and told him my thoughts about why we should homeschool he agreed and then I would go into reasons why I couldn't or shouldn't. And Hubs answer was always the same. "It sounds like you have your answer, why are you trying to fight the spirit on this."

So I sent Mac to preschool and spent a lot of time researching homeschooling. And I have to say, for us, the benefits FAR out weighed the cons. And I started getting more confident over time with the idea that I COULD actually homeschool our kids.

I continued to send Mac to preschool for two years. Although I was seriously looking into homeschooling, I had no reservation about sending him to preschool. But as soon as it was time for him to go to Kindergarten. I was torn. We lived next door to his two best friends who would also be going to kindergarten. And to be honest I still didn't feel quite ready to homeschool. But for many reasons, it was so hard to send him. And I worried about him every minute he was there. I worried about his allergy, I worried about his influences, I worried about him not learning enough or getting bored. To appease that worry, I volunteered in his class once a week. And it was a great way to ease my worry, but it still didn't feel right him being there.

One day as we were getting ready for school I had this feeling he shouldn't go. I took him to school anyway and walked out almost in tears because I felt like he shouldn't be there. I texted Hubs about my feelings once I got home. And he said, go back and get him! So I did!

My plan was to use the year to prepare to homeschool him starting in first grade. But about two months after he started Kindergarten we found out we would be moving. And we decided it was the perfect opportunity to just jump right in when we moved.

Thankfully everyone has been very supportive of us homeschooling. And we know that for now it is the right choice for our family.

No comments: